Sunday, May 14, 2006

Flattery or Insulting

Recently I took on some additional responsibilities at work... it was a welcome change in the sense that I like new challenges but the matter in which I got this was a little odd. The person who previously had these responsibilities said what I think was supposed to be a compliment, but it was exactly "Betty, I think you'd do a really great job at this, you are a very ambitious person...you're too ambitious to want to get married or have kids so young."

uh...ok...thanks, i think?

So apparently to this person ambition and family are mutually exclusive goals, or potentially conflicting goals that cannot coexist. Not that I've ever been in any sort of a hurry to get knocked up...but it's never been off the table because I like my job.

2 comments:

Malibu Betty said...

I don't know what snarky means...but I'm guessing I agree.

The thing is if someone chooses that they are not going to have a family, then don't be a bitter bear about your decision towards others...i dunno, it was just a wierd moment.

Malibu Betty said...

sometimes you are pure evil...lol