Monday, May 30, 2011

Donut is 2...

Look at how grown up she looks...ugh. I know it's only been 2 years but I can't believe it's been 2 years already all at the same time. She's still a baby in many ways but so grown up compared to the snuggle bug we brought home from the hospital. Everyday I am proud and sad to look at Donut. Proud of her development, milestones and achievements....sad because with everyday that passes, that's just one day further away from us and onto her own life.

It was only once I had Donut that I totally understood the craziness of mothers and their insistence at a certain point in your life for you to marry and have children. While all of us daughters just see that as "pressure" and "lame" as a mother, I now understand what is happening. While feeding Donut for the first time in the hospital, all I could think about was how I couldn't wait for her to experience the same thing one day. How primal and essential that experience is and how it wasn't clear to me until I was there. I think about that a lot as I wonder what kind of person Donut will grow up to be, what her definition of family will be and will we one day be able to bond over a shared experience? Also in our quest to add to our family, I constantly wonder if I'll be blessed to have that moment again.


No comments: