Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Movie Review: Old Boy

Forrest has a really smart Netflix account. It apparently knows that he's dating a korean...so it suggests korean movies to him. Too bad it doesn't know how strangely non asian I can be...not by some aversion to my people..but because in a past life I was a red neck and it's apparently a hard thing to shake. haha. but really, i kid.

Anyhoo we watched Old Boy last night. It was some korean movie with english subtitles that won awards at Cannes. Yahoo movies even ranked it a A-. Basic premise is this guy is imprisoned for 15 years then released for no reason and has 5 days to find out why he was imprisoned...an intense movie with some very uncomfortable twists in plot that basically leave you feeling a little violated.

I felt too uneasy after the film...the all in all, a well made film. I so want to give away the movie's kicker...but alas, I won't - you have to watch it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No thanks. I was getting a headache just from watching an episode of Lost last night with the English subtitles for the Korean characters.

Anonymous said...

We actually bought this movie after hearing all the great reviews, so we felt extra violated, thinking it was going to be so great and then having paid for a movie you would never ever ever want to watch twice.

I don't even think I can in good conscience give it away.

Anonymous said...

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring was a good Korean movie, I thought. And there is no incest in it.

Malibu Betty said...

OMG..tell me about how crazy the incest was in this movie. Not once...but twice the incest - i want to throw up just thinking about this movie...