Sunday, August 08, 2010

An attempt at urban farming

I've been gardening a lot lately. I started off small... last year i could barely grow anything and this year I started with a small planter box and after eating 2 weeks of salad picked fresh from the backyard, I have upgraded. Last weekend I built a 2'x6'x1.5' planter box and this weekend I finally got around to planting. It was lots of fun - I went to the lumberyard with my measurements and they cut everything for me. From there I just bought a crapload of dirt, mulch and fertilizer. Seeds and plants to boot.

So far we have the following planting, growing or breaking out of seeds:

  • Assorted lettuce
  • Arugula
  • Carrots
  • Radishes
  • Swiss Chard
  • Cauliflower
  • Broccoli
  • Tomato
  • Green Beans
  • Watercress
  • Brussel Sprouts

I am so excited that there is quite a lot of variety of edibles that grow in our SF coastal climate. Basically anything that's usually a "cold weather or winter crop" can be grown here all year round - woot woot!






No comments: