Monday, November 21, 2011

Stupid Computer Virus

I really should know better... but those worms finally got me. After all these years, over a decade of awesomeness of not getting caught by one of those worms... After all years of laughing at the misfortune of others...

I was stupid enough to click on the attachment in an unknown email.

It wiped out all my apps and some of my local data. I quickly unplugged the backup hard drive once I realized what was happening so it didn't get my most precious data... years of electronic tax returns and 7 years worth of photos. Panicking I tried shutting down my computer and rebooting...no dice...I started sweating at the thought of having to wake up Forrest at 6 in the morning to fix the computer...less dice...desperately I tried to navigate the computer as a series of pop up windows kept appearing in quick succession after another... Until I came upon the "backup utility"

I never thought I'd say this but "Thank You Microsoft Backup Restore Utility for saving my bacon. I restored to sometime a week before and was back online with all my apps and about 90% of my data."

Lesson learned...no more clicking on email attachments (even from the USPS - I know!) and keeping some Windows around just because :)

No comments: