Sunday, March 16, 2008

Movie Review: There Will Be Blood

Went out to check out the movie "There Will Be Blood" on a date night one week after the Oscars. We both really appreciated "No Country For Old Men" and given that movie won a ton of awards except for best actor, we thought it appropriate to watch Daniel Day Lewis in his latest installment.

My first exposure to DDL was in "My Left Foot" and I was surprised to learn that he really wasn't mentally retarded in real life because his presence in the movie was literally profound. That said, I was curious to see how his latest interpretation was going to be.

3 words = He Deserves It.
He absolutely deserves the title of Best Actor. His ability to completely become the character with now reservation from the audience to picture him as any previous character from a previous movie makes him that powerful of an actor. The subject matter of the movie is not one that I particularly cared for and the score was quite taxing but his acting, the character that he played carried the entire movie. He makes you hate and feel sorry for him by the end of movie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

finally got to see the infamous There Will Be Blood... Daniel-Day Lewis' performance was top-notch. He takes well to the overbearing, violent father-figure role -- he also did this in Gangs of New York.

Malibu Betty said...

I agree...I think he is almost unrecognizable from role to role because he just becomes the character so much. I totally forgot he was in gangs of NY but yup that was him...