Monday, October 06, 2008

Food of my heart

This post is entirely dedicated to the little guy....the cart, truck, stand, shop, the place that has paper napkins and plastic plates and sometimes only serves you food in a paper bag - this is the other half of food...the stuff that becomes iconic to a region. As much as I love the fancy stuff, I love this stuff just as much...and to that, here goes my tribute to humble foods.
The Chicago Style hot dog.... I only had 2 while I was out there, but since I have found an online site to sell me all of the ingredients espeically the sport peppers and poppy seed buns - I fear not that I will be unable to feed my need for dogs :)

Holy deep dish! Gino's East features a cornmeal crust (fascinating and delicious) and this gut bomb delight was fantastic. Normally I prefer the neopolitan style pizza with a nice thin crispy crust but this is local fare and something to behold....yum.
Pancakes are not a local specialty but I had to include this picture. Sunday AM we went to a place called Orange for breakfast and you guessed it, they use oranges and other varieties of citrus in a lot of different things. Forrest ordered the pancake flight above and it was super cute and delicious.

I cannot say it enough...dunkin donuts, i love you. They are awesome...and anytime I am east of CA, I hit up as many DD's as possible. Usually you have to head over at the very least to the midwest to get your hands on these...ohhhh sweet delicious fried dough...... I only ate 3 donuts while in Chicago - dangit I really should have eaten more.
Still on my list is White Castle...which has foiled me every time I have been in the midwest. I just looked it up and there were 2 in the metro Chicago area - AHHHH - next time.

No comments: