Thursday, July 30, 2009

View from the top of the city...


Maternity leave has been a bit lonely for me. Most of my college friends don't have kids yet and the friends I do have with kids are all scattered in the peninsula and south bay making visits much more difficult when one is deprived of sleep and would rather not drive. So, I have been joining mommy and play groups like a madwoman to make some new mom friends and well I'm not sure how well it is really going. I think my eagerness to meet new people in a similar phase of life may be coming off as desperation....so now I am TOTALLY self concious about it.

The picture above is from Alta Vista Park where I met a local mom from the Korean mommys group that I recently joined. I can't believe I've never been to that park because the view from there is freaking AMAZING! It helps that it was a sunny day too....

Today I went to a babysitting co-op meeting for moms in the Presidio/Pac Heights/Marina neighborhoods and literally everyone else seemed to already know each other...it's kind of intimidating that way. The same thing happened when I went to a neighborhood playgroup when Donut was 6 weeks old...everyone already seemed to know each other from this or that thing...really? It is a bit awkward to join a convo when people are spending time catching up with each other, ya know?

Oh well, I'll just keep on trying...

2 comments:

Morry said...

OMG, the things you learn about people on the internet! I never in a million years would think that would be difficult for you. Hang in there! You have so much to offer and they will be all over you as soon as they get to know you a little.

Malibu Betty said...

it's really not easy to make new friends when you're an adult...people have their established friend circles and routines...