Monday, March 20, 2006

Book Review: Smashed


So this book was written by a 23 yearl old who has been getting wasted since she was in her pre-teens. Not quite an alcoholic...but an alochol abuser who used it to desensitize and help her in social situations. Painful to read only because I can see likeness of her actions in people around me and in ways I've pursued booze at various points in mylife. It's strange because in a life of priviledge like Koren you drink to escape...much like the less fortunate who abuse substances...it's all about escaping or running away from somehting, even if that something is different. I've never had my stomach pumped and I've never puked up the black specks that are indicative of stomach poisoning but I know myself and plenty of my good friends have been goodheartedly embarrassed at or even laughed at out black out follies. This book has really made me see those excursions in a different light - one that doesn't cast a rosy glow at the experience but makes it look all the more harsher and more troublesome.

No comments: