Monday, June 05, 2006

Parellel Universe

Many times people wonder "what if"..."what if I decided on the other option?" "what if I said no...what if I said yes" This line of thinking can literally go on for eternity - but sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if my parents had stayed in Korea. Even after almost 30 years in the United States, they haven't assimilated well enough to be comfortable leaving myself and my brother in a strange in between place of juggling 2 different cultures.

Sometimes this doesn't matter...because the bay area is such a hodge podge of cultures anyways. Other times, it makes one feel particularly left out.... like when your parents haven't met any of your friends, even friends you've had for years because they are uncomfortable speaking english. This has sometimes made me wonder why they even came here in the first place - especially if they had intented to maintain a completely Korean lifestyle.

Life as I know it would it have been much more restrictive if I had stayed in the homeland...but I wouldn't have really known the difference. You can't miss what you never had. Actually I'm sure my life in many ways would have been a lot easier..haha

1 comment:

Malibu Betty said...

actually they moved here because my dad was bored and wanted a change. it wasn't for some better life and opportunity - our setup would have been better back in the homeland.