Monday, July 10, 2006

High Altitude Triathlon

And so the countdown begins. The triathlon is this Sunday up at Donner Lake. Forrest and I went up there 2 weeks ago and did a test run of the course...much to my dismay the "short course" does not make this any easier because of the elevation. We'll be staying at the Lake Donner Resort or something like that. Sam will be coming to root us on and we'd love to have more peeps there to join us in the frenzy...plus it's kind of nice up there by the lake.

The 6 mile bike ride sounds SUPER EASY until you realize that it's 3 miles uphill and 3 miles downhill. Climbing 1,000 feet is not that hard, unless you're already 6,000 feet up above sea level...can anyone say "lack of oxygen?" It took about 45 minutes to go uphill and about 3 minutes to come down. I can only imagine the carnage of cyclists on race day at the bottom of the hill. I gotta remember to make sure my brakes are engaged after I put the tire back on..heh

No comments: