Friday, August 10, 2007

Fire at the Met

Last week, the fire alarm went off as I was in the middle of making dinner. I was unsure if it was a real emergency or a drill...mind you, I am debating if I should evacuate or not. Once I finally decided to vacate the building, I went to grab a jacket, then my cell phone...contemplated changing my shoes and wondered if I should bring my iPod or a book. If this fire were any more urgent, yours truly would have been burnt to a crisp - I am basically a retard.

However once I got outside, I got to see two firetrucks and a paramedic van pull up to the building and all these official looking people file out of the vehicles and into the building...VERY dramatic. Amidst all this drama, Forrest comes home to join me on our "stoop" to wait out the perilous fire. When the neglected toaster oven has been eradicated, we were all allowed to file back into our units.
Funny thing, I was telling my coworker Jerry about the fire (he also lives in the building) and when retelling the story of the evacuation he made the comment "see this is where it doesn't pay to have the nice units on the upper floors." Huh, who knew that being poor and leasing would better because you can escape the building faster...

p.s. when leaving the "burning building" I walked briskly to the elevator, only to learn that the magnetic fire doors automatically close when the fire alarm is triggered...the best part???? I was actually disappointed that I had to take the stairs ~HA! maybe I do deserve to burn up...

No comments: