Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Live Chickens for sale

Last week I had to pop by City Hall to get certified copies of our marriage license in order to officially change my name. When walking from the bart station to city hall, I noticed the farmer's market that they hold in the plaza on Wednesday mornings. I decided to get a closer look when I got back.

I had no idea this was possible in urban dwellings, but yes...that is a truck full of cages of live chickens. You can buy then and I am assuming slaughter them at home somewhere? I happened upon this because out of all the stands, this truck had this long ass line of chinese people and a sprinkling of other ethnic groups.

I still really want to know where they are killing these birds...and, is it sanitary to do that sort of thing in such dense communities? I'm all for growing, harvesting / slaughtering your own food...shoot, Forrest's family grew up on farms. But you have LOTS of open space for that kind of thing....not shared walls with your neighbors and no back yards.

Side Note: you will also notice they are selling chicken balut 4 for $1.00..

No comments: