Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Hush Puppies and Fried Pickles

Tuesday night I went to dinner at Nate's Seafood and Steakhouse with Trish and Jeff. Now this place was similar in style to the Rajun Cajun...but a little more, uh, rustic. The waiter brings out bread bowl, which comes on a long metal platter actually serves a few slickes of french bread floating in a sea of melted butter and garlic...with a few sweet and perfectly fried hush puppies on top. MMMM I forgot how much my secret pwt-ness LOVES hush puppies. Another fun menu item was fried pickles and they were GOOD. Upon first glance at the menu, it just looked like a prego woman's dream item...but the actual effect was similar to salty peanuts with beer.

Tried to order oysters and crawfish but was unsuccessful as the recent hurricanes have distrupted the normal supply of gulf oysters.

On another hurricane note - my hotel was housing 2 families who were displaced by Katrina, which is down from the total 30 families they housed immediately following the disaster. Now I think that sort of aid is great but these families were on my floor and exactly across the hall and next door to my/Trish's room. Monday night there was some "light" domestic violence and Tuesday evening, one of the men was drunkenly picking up on the hotel front desk attendant while I was getting my room key re-programmed. He was telling her "no, look, I have one..." and proceeded to pull out what looked like a condom and wave it around at her. She looked only semi annoyed, that's because she was also happily flirting back prior to my key card request. To make this scene a tad wierder, a white dude in a poloshirt and slacks holding a plate of food and a bottle of wine comes walking down the hall and starts yelling at the drunk stallion to go to bed, before he gets in trouble and really makes him mad. Uh...ok.

Keep in mind I was staying at a Wyndham Hotel..which isn't a bad hotel as I have stayed in worse places working where I do...but holy crap.

No comments: