Friday, February 17, 2006

Dinner in..

We stayed in on V-day and I planned out a dinner with some new recipes to try out. All in all it went alright. I would definately make those dishes again...although the dessert was a little too sweet. The problem with making meals for two from printed recipes is that sometimes I forget to halve all of the ingredients - case in point the panna cotta was a little too heavy on the honey.
  • Mixed Green Salad with crumbled Gorgonzola, Sliced Pears and Dried Cranberries
  • Grilled Rib Eye Steaks
  • Lobster Thermidor over Mashed Potatoes
  • Asparagus Spears
  • Panna Cotta with Mixed Berries
  • Billecart Salmon Champagne

Definately didn't need to double fruit it on the salad. I like both the pear and cranberries with blue cheese but must make sure to only have one on a salad. Must remember it's a salad not a cheese plate. Steaks were steaks, I took a single rib eye and cut it in half since I decided to make too much other food....ha. The lobster thermidor was super yum yum. It's an old school recipe that is basically like a gratin of chopped lobster tails, onions, sherry and cheese. I decided to up the ante by baking it on a bed of mashed potatoes instead of baking it in the shell. Had to add asparagus spears because there should be somethign green on every dinner plate.

Panna Cotta...how much I LOVE panna cotta..i love all thing pudding, custard, flan, etc. The recipe was SUPER easy...just milk, cream, honey and gelatin. I forgot to half the amount of honey so it was a little too sweet in that wierd honey way... The mixed berries were frozen berries microwaved with some lemon juice and mashed together.

Billecart - I think I may have found some new yummy champagne. At $35 per split, I dunno how often I will be partaking though.

No comments: