Monday, September 08, 2008

Book Review: Chinese Playground

Just finished this book recently and I really enjoyed reading it. Bill Lee was my recruiter years ago that got me into my second job seeUthere.com. I had heard this was the same Bill that wrote this book, so I went and read it. This is quite an amazing story - you hear about how rough things were or are in certain cities but it's not quite real to you because you didn't live it.

My parents were immigrants too but having grown up in a quite suburb of San Jose, the only trouble we really ever got into was fishing for tadpoles in the "creek" which was probably the water waste drainage along the expressway. When you read stories like Bill's you wonder about the scores of people that have landed on these shores hoping for a fresh start and a chance at a better life....and what the reality ended up being for the vast majority of those people; hard grueling work that left them little time with their children in a foreign land where they didn't understand the language or customs.

Bill's story is fascinating because even though he was engaged in some pretty deep shit with the Chinatown gangs of the 70's, in the end he got out and made it...but not without a huge toll on his psyche - leaving him tormented. And I remember him as such a jovial person from back when he recruited me into seeUthere...Even as recently as 3 years ago we chatted when I was looking for work again and Bill once again found me online. I chose to go a different route than what he was hiring for but reading his book did remind me to reach out to him via LinkedIn to get back in touch....

No comments: