Thursday, September 04, 2008

Book Review: Metropolis

Just finished Metropolis by Elizabeth Gaffney and after starting off a bit skeptical, I ended up loving the book. I found this book years ago via a Time or People magazine book review and had it sitting on my Amazon wishlist....for years. Finally purchased it (thank you drunken online shopping) and when it arrived I was totally over it.

But not wanting to waste my money and not read the book, I started it one afternoon and quite literally was surprised at how much I liked it. The story reads very well, is descriptive and entertaining. The story is set in the time period of the building of the Brooklyn Bridge. It follows a set of characters that reminded me of the movie "Gangs of New York." Forrest pointed out that the year the bridge was started and Gangs of NY are not the same...but being a stickler aside, I pointed out that it was the same era in history and one cannot assume all the immigrant gangs came to a dead stop after the movie.

The book has murder, double crossing, violence, drama, mystery, a love story and some family drama as well...If anyone wants it lemme know.

No comments: