Thursday, September 04, 2008

Decision 2008

So I am undecided. I guess I still have a couple of months to get closer to each candidates platforms and understand what they're all about...but as of now, it really is Indecision 2008 for me.

Recently while visiting my sister in law and her husband, it came out that I was undecided and am a registered Replublican. Ann was asking "are you just more fiscally conservative?" as their eyes were bugging out as I am now the devil spawn - LOL. Being fiscally conservative but socially liberal is the saving grace for most modern Repulicans....although I think Forrest calls those folks Libertarians.

I don't know - I may be a bit conservative on both fronts....but really here's where I stand

  1. I am a registered Republican and have been since the day I turned 18 (and proud of it!)
  2. I haven't been this charged up to vote since I voted for Bob Dole back in college
  3. I believe in smaller federal government, but more active state and local government as that is where real "change" can really happen. Some bloated fed tax for a benefit I'll never see or an increase in my local sales tax to better local school system? Guess which one I am choosing
  4. I do not believe in broad sweeping social programs as they don't work. There is too much diversity within the 50 states to come up with one program that fits all.
  5. I believe we need more personal responsibility to hold people accountable for the direction of their own lives. You can be whatever you want...so pick a direction and try
  6. I believe people do care about their community and are vested in its success
  7. I am not a hater that doesn't want to help or share. I just want the freedom choose where my money goes and have the opportunity to be involved in that organization. I don't believe in a blank check without knowing where it's going to and what it is doing.
  8. I believe in freedom of choice...of all choices, regardless of what you or I may personally believe about that issue, we have to leave choice in the hands of the citizens.
  9. I think all families should have the rights and benefits deemed to what has been considered "traditional" families. I think social evolution is constantly redefining the status quo and people just need to get over it and accept it - you don't have to agree with it.
  10. I do believe the current administration is a nutty and not inspirational to the public.
  11. I believe a public leader needs to inspire the people just as much, if not more than actually know what to do....if people feel they are empowered, many will make the neccessary changes on their own.
  12. I do believe that there are some people you just can't help or make happy no matter what you do, what programs you create - some people are just unwilling.
  13. This has been a historic year starting with the primaries. It is an amazing site to see a woman, african american, pack of old white dudes, a mormon and fundamentalist christian all weigh in for a chance at the presidency and to last as long as they did. It was like a representative slice of America (minus a few ethnicities) in a single race
  14. The chance to elect the first female president was exciting....but not really when it was Hillary Clinton. She sounds smart and all, but their marriage is too much of a business partnership more than a family that gives the whole thing an air of deceit...like it was always planned this way.
  15. I understand that the symbolism of electing the first non old white guy as a president is a moment in history that will likely re-define America regardless of what his policy is. Barack Obama is a transformative public leader this is a big deal....and his speeches do move me to feel inspired and hopeful.

I think that's it for now.... and you can see why I am undecided as I will need to make some concesssions on way or another when voting for president.

No comments: