Monday, May 04, 2009

Movie Review: X-Men Origins Wolverine

On Saturday we hit up the movies with the bro...Sam was over in the afternoon and had lunch with us and the Chinns...then stayed to do his laundry. So around dinnertime, we all decided to head out to watch X-Men Origins (or just the "wolverine movie") down at AMC Van Ness because they had like a million showings every 2 seconds.

We rush out of the house around 6pm to try and make it to the 630 showing only to discover this HUGE line out the door - ACK we thought we were totally hosed until we noticed that... the entire line was just filled with dudes.. dudes that all looked like they walked out of a leather bar in SOMA - we're talking polar bears. When we finally get up to the ticket counter, we ask about the 630 showing and the guy says "oh yeah, you guys are fine.. We only sold 50 tickets for that showing." Which made us even more curious about what the hell was going on at the 7pm showing.

As for the movie itself? I of course found it totally entertaining! I do love the weapon X backstory and thought Liev Schriber was a fantastic Sabertooth. The whole origins could have definitely stretch out to a few movies but I like the particular focus on Wolverine.

Chester did point out that I do have low standards for movies...but if being entertained is a low standard then yes...I have low standards.

2 comments:

Chester said...

Ultimately, I'd have enjoyed watching this on a random rainy afternoon. But, for a movie outing, it was one of the worst movies I've seen in recent memories.

If successful comic movie adaptations lie along a continuum between Dark Knight and, say, the Dolph Lundgren Punisher, then Wolverine sits in the middle of the line if I'm feeling charitable and inches closer to Dolph's Frank Castle if I'm feeling vicious.

And, frankly, the only reason why it would even rate as average is because "average" for comic book movies is so low.

And I say all this as someone who has almost a decade's worth of consecutive issues of Uncanny X-Men...

andrewj7 said...

it was a great movie! I really liked it, but it could have been 20 mins shorter.