Sunday, November 27, 2005

Book Review: Pledged

Finished this book a couple of weeks ago...I can't remember when, but it was fairly recent. DUDE this book kicks ass, it's VERY interesting - and I gotta say, my sorority was NOT like some of these crazy bitch houses... The rampant eating disorders, borderline prostitution and blatant racism (there is a story about being in blackface) are like urban legend to me...like the circling of fat spots as part of pledge period. We definately didn't have that at our house. But then there are things that ring true like the group reference behavior, how all girl groups tend to not foster sisterhood so much as blatant manipulation and the, uh, binge drinking..heehee

I was not outraged when I read this book like some of the greeks across America were. This book doesn't neccesarily go out to say sororities are bad, it just shows all of it. It is true that we all love/hate rush...because it's the worst week of our lives but the week we get a new class of girls. It does give the opportunity to meet people you otherwise would not have (i.e. all of my current best girlfriends I met via rush or DG). BUT as with any large social group with obligations, you can't love everyone and some girls are just plain mean. Definately worth the read

No comments: