Saturday, August 29, 2009

YES YES YES! Eureka I have found the dragonfruit!

So on Friday I stopped over on Clement St in the inner richmond and found these....dragonfruit! I almost shit my pants!!! The only time I have ever had the opportunity to eat these was in Singapore and I have been craving them ever since. It's a shame that so many of those wonderful tropical fruits don't make it over to the states for mass sale at grocery stores (guavas, passionfruit, mangosteen, dragonfruit). But this market in the richmond did have dragonfruit and mangosteen.

I was so flippin excited that I only bought one and hand carried it (no bag) as I perused the Clement St. shops....hahahaha. They also had mangosteens so I'm gonng have to head back over there maybe today to pick up a couple.

These are the prettiest things when you cut them open! I learned that dragonfruit is part of the cactus family so this is a distant, asian cousin of the prickly pear. Makes sense to me - but I am sure glad these fruit don't have the exterior cactus prickles and interior seeds like the prickly pear. In flavor, these were like a mild kiwi...it makes me think they were not quite ripe because in Singapore, they had an almost mild watermelon flavor.

As for serving...no need to cut into pieces, the flesh is easily scoopable with a spoon and the skin is tough/thick enough that the spoon does not pierce through it.

No comments: