Friday, August 26, 2005

Battle of the asian moms...part 2

Dinner with Hiroko, Sam and Vy last evening after our softball game at St John's in Santa Clara was interesting as Hiroko recently went home (Seattle) for a friend's wedding and got to spend time with her parents. So inevitably, our conversation turned to the "constructive criticism" that she and I get from our respective mothers.

Hiroko, upon entering her parents' home saw her mother who started waving her arms and chanting, "No More Carbs! Wine Equals Sugar!" repeatedly.

My mother a few weekends ago said (as I was decked out in my cycling gear)
MOM: Betty, come over here in front of your dad and me
BETTY: Why?
MOM: Because I want you to show us how skinny you are now. Who knew that all it would take was you getting a boyfriend to finally lose some weight. I guess now you'll also keep the weight off so you don't scare away your boyfriend.

The ironic part of the above statements is that both Hiroks and I are average sized people who lead very active lives....

2 comments:

Malibu Betty said...

Now my dad has joined into the mix....those of you who've met my father know that he doesn't speak. He is not a deaf mute or anything, he just doesn't speak--on purpose. But last night he asked me if I was going to get married. I didn't answer him because I didn't have enough time to get over the shock of him actually speaking to me.

Anonymous said...

That's okay. At least your parents are putting marriage first before the baby carriage. In my single existence, with apparently no hopes of a boyfriend in sight, my mom is starting to say that it's okay if 1) I'm a lesbian 2) I can have a baby out of wedlock. And a combo of 1 and 2 could work as well.