Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Book Report: The Poisonwood Bible


Just finished another book...my favorite part of business travel is all the free time I get on the plane to read...I LOVE READING..for that matter I love to fly, take the train and go on roadtrips where I am not the one driving so I can read.

Poisonwood Bible is about a southern baptist minister and his family's missionary move to the Congo in the 50's. When they arrive, their 4 daughters are very young and very distinctly pale against the Congo. Each chapter is written from the point of view of the wife and the 4 daughters as they adjust to life in the Congo, go through adolescence, fall in/out of love and experience disappointment and death. The last few chapters follows the lives of these women as their missionary trip comes to a close and to what far reaches of the earth they go....I read all 600 pages in 3 days. I found it riveting - and interesting since I come from a pretty religious family, to see the similarities and differences in how people approach religion and faith.

No comments: