Monday, April 11, 2005

4 Timer Tiger


I watched the masters at augusta while running a hill program at the gym yesterday. I used to find golf super boring, dull and pointless.....until I started playing. Now it's the most riveting and painfully difficult sport on the planet - but I find it enjoyable...I almost bite my nails while watching gold on TV. That's a big endorsement considering I am extrememly vain and would NEVER bite my nails.

BUT...what a win on Sunday for Tiger! That one putt where the ball just sat on the edge of the cup for 2 of the longest seconds on tv before it drops in. Meanwhile the camera is zoomed in so close that all you can see are the dimples on the while golf ball and the nike logo slowly rolling. Pretty fucking sweet!

Then after the event, ESPN did a little montage/recap of the weekend, especially highlights of the amateur/pro pairings for the par 3 tournament...what about the young kid from england who got a whole in one? And the especially touching tribute to Tiger, Nicklaus and Palmer being the only golfers in history to have won at least 4 masters (Nicklaus won 6). Apparently Tiger was paired up with Nicklaus when he first showed up at Augusta 10 years ago for the amateur/pro competition. Pretty cool - kinda like the pic of Clinton shaking Kennedy's hand.

I love the sports highlights/history things that ESPN does - always gets me a little choked up.

No comments: