Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Mile High Book Club: Alaska Airlines Row 20


I just started reading My Antonia recently (as I love to read while riding in planes, trains and automobiles - ha!) and decided to take it on the plane for my trip to Seattle...I recently finished East of Eden by Steinbeck on a business trip to New Jersey.

I travel so much that I have my quirks...I don't want to meet or talk to people on the plane, there is NO novelty in it for me, travel time is my alone/quiet time...and I cherish every minute of it by sleeping/reading/listening to my iPOD. But on this trip....2 men sitting next to me, dared to start a conversation when I pulled out my book.

Snipets of the conversation:
  • Middle seat guy: Hey! I'm reading the same book
  • Betty: Shut the fuck up?! Really?? (in jovial tone)
  • Middle seat guy: (taken aback) Uh, yeah, really...see? (takes out book). How far have you read? Do you like it?
  • Betty: It's alright...I've been kind of spot reading it so far, I was mowing through a 600 pager before this...East of Eden by Steinbeck.
  • Middle seat guy: Really? Cool! I just read The Long Valley by Steinbeck
  • Window seat guy: I just read Of Mice and Men...easy short read...and now I'm reading Tortilla Flat
  • Betty: Wow...who would have known we'd have our own farmers book club on this flight?
With that...we all laughed and then cracked open our books and started reading.

No comments: