Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Book Review: Lucky

Just finished Lucky by Alice Sebold today while getting my hair done. This author also wrote The Lovely Bones which I read sometime last year. Um, I don't know where to start except that I may need to migrate to some chick lit books for awhile because I am borderline depressed. This book is a memoir of Alice's brutal rape when she was a freshman at Syracuse and her journey following. It's written in a very descriptive a straight forward manner that makes you feel like you're there. An amazing story because Alice copes by charging through with an investigation/conviction of her attacker while her friend who is raped goes the opposite direction, choosing to ignore and move on with life and the inevitable divide it creates. I read the book in 2 days primarily because it is such a painful story to read that I needed to get it over with as soon as possible. Not painful in a poorly written book sort of way, but written so amazingly that it basically made me angry/sad/terrified all at the same time and maybe if I hurried up and finished it, I would feel better. If you dare read this book, I've got it to loan out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bring it on!

Malibu Betty said...

it's all yours when i'm back in town.