Monday, June 13, 2005

Saving Face


Went to see Saving Face with Sam, Annie, Julie and Too (friends of Annie) today after work. I really wanted to see this movie during the Asian American Film Festival but it only played during opening night of the festival and I wasn't able to make it. Thankfully, the film received enough critical acclaim to be released to local theaters for general viewing.

Those of you who don't know the well publicized general plot..it's this. Wilhemina(Wil) is a young lesbian surgeon and her mother (Joan Chen) is a widow who is unexpectantly pregnant. The two end up living together and dealing with each other's lives, secrets, cultures and lack of general communication.....it's actually not tooo "joy luck clubby" and is oftentimes funny. There are some critical moving moments...that I think make the movie what it is - GREAT.

Some thoughts:
  • I knew the movie was about a lesbian daughter...but holy hell they have some intense lesbo scenes. Make out scenes that are totally hot but in a way that make you uncomfortable to be watching it with other people.
  • Wil's girldfriend Vivian is super hot. I totally thought it was the girl from "Better Luck Tomorrow" who played Stephanie...but it's not, it's newcomer Lynn Chen. (insert racist joke about how all asians look alike)
  • I really enjoyed all the racism, because it's amazing how insanely racist the older generations of asians can be.
  • I'm sure the same situations and feelings are replicated between any ethnic parent and their Americanized children (I laughed a lot because I recognized similar moments in my own life - but only at the mutually frustrating nature versus it actually being funny)
  • Once again, super hot but rather uncomfortable lesbo make out scenes...I realized how hetero I am. Nothing wrong with what you'all want to do - but seeing two women in bed together like that did not look natural/familiar to me at all.

Definately a full ticket price rating, I would even buy the DVD or watch it again in the theater. For any yellow-fever wierdo dudes out there, the make out scenes between Vivan and Wil would make your head explode because they are two super cute chicks...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lesbo warning. Until your commentary, I wanted to see it with my mother. Now I'll try to go with a guy I want all hot and bothered...you know, ripe for the picking...

Malibu Betty said...

There really are only 2 full make out scenes but they are fully topless and it was enough to make my brother say "OOO" out loud. But the overall story would be appropriate for you and your mother to see together.

You are a genious...I never would have thought to watch it with a dude to get him all riled up watching two hot cute asian chicks make out