Thursday, July 07, 2005

Chocolate


The California Academy of Science is having a chocolate exhibition June 11 - Sept 5. I think this sounds really interesting because of society's fascination with this foodstuff. I swear some people are crazy addicted to it...me, I can't stand it. It always throws people off when I say "I don't like chocolate" and I mean it when I say it....it's not some self-imposed diet thing where I am trying to avoid chocolate...I really can't stand the stuff. I've never liked it much and it ususally makes me feel gross if I eat it. I alsodislike ice cream...so imagine my horror when desserts of chocolate ice cream are presented to me...LOL

Anyhoo, regardless of my preferences, this exhibition sounds exciting...a little bit of the Food Network mixed in with the Discovery Channel perhaps? Or it could even be the show Good Eats on the Food Network.

Some interesting chocofacts:
  • The chocolate chip cookie was discovered by accident when Ruth Wakefield (an American) was preparing chocolate cookies. She neglected to melt the lumps of chocolate first, thinking they would melt during baking but they didn’t. No one complained about the results. (not too bad of a mistake, eh?)
  • About 3 billion pounds of chocolate are consumed worldwide each year. (fat fuckers)
  • The flavor of milk chocolate begins to deteriorate after about 6 months. (rancid)
  • The flavor of dark chocolate improves with time for up to 18 to 24 months. (almost like wine, eh?)
  • Nine out of ten people like chocolate. It is said that the tenth person probably lies! (full of shit, I really don't like chocolate...sometimes I eat it, but that's roughly one bite of chocolate every 3 months, after which I feel a little nauseated)
Who's interested in going?

No comments: